Transferring data from Windows to Mac is likely for two reasons. Suppose you have become a mac user recently and want to share the old data from your window to Mac.
The second option is; however you were a mac user, but you did always run Windows on Mac, but now when you switch it again to Mac, you want your data to fly into Mac. And this is not impossible.
There are many ways to transfer data from window to Mac, described in this article.
How to Move Your Windows Data To a Mac?
The following are two methods you can use to transfer data from Windows to Mac
- By using Windows Migration Assistant
- By using a Cloud:
- Use File Sharing to transfer window data to Mac:
- Transfer files by an external memory module
Transfer Data By Using Windows Migration Assistant
Windows Migration Assistant method is relatively easy. Handy and reliable. This is considered one of the most satisfying ways to transfer data. Let’s begin the process:
Things you need to check before starting this process.
But before doing further, let’s review the things we should have so that we don’t have to face any issues in the future.
- Check and make sure that your window is up to date. Windows Migration Assistant method or window migration assistant works with window seven and later.
- It is essential that you know your administrator account’s username and password.
- To make a bridge between your Mac and pc, connect both devices to the same network. The most convenient is to associate it with your wi-fi device.
- Make sure that your hard drive doesn’t suffer from any issue.
By Following The Steps Below:
- Click Run after right-clicking the Start button.
- Press Enter after typing cmd. Windows launch the Command Prompt.
- You should type chkdsk at the prompt and press Enter.
- If you found some issues in your drive, you have to sort them out first. You need to run a drive repair process by following steps:
- In the Command window, type chkdsk drive: /F (Or whatever the name of the disk is that Windows uses for its startup disk).
- Press Enter to begin.
- Press Y on the prompt.
- You should restart your PC.
Repeat these above steps until you satisfy that your PC has not any issues. After completing this, you will run the window migration assistant to transfer your data from window to Mac.
Move Your Data From Windows to Mac
Step 1: Install an appropriate window migration assistant according to your macOS operating system. It would be best if you made a perfect and suitable relation between Mac and windows.
Here are some pieces of advice to have a better experience. Download the window assistant migration according to the mac model you have Windows Migration Assistant:
- Mac OS Big Sur
- MacOS Mojave and MacOS Catalina
- MacOS Sierra and High Sierra
- OS X El Capitan or earlier
Step 2: Quite all other works or running applications and to this thing first.
Step 3: Open Windows Migration Assistant, then click Continue.
Step 4: Now start your Mac. Your Mac will open the Setup Assistant automatically the first time you switch to it. Open Migration Assistant in your Applications folder if you have already set up your Mac.
Step 5: Following the onscreen instructions on your Mac, go to the migration pane of the assistant. Please select “From a Windows PC” as the option to switch information. Click Continue.
Step 6: After prompted, enter your administrator’s name and password.
Step 7: You can close other open apps by clicking Continue.
Step 8: To migrate your PC, select your computer from the list of available machines on your Mac. When your PC shows the same passcode as your Mac, you can proceed.
Step 9: After some time, both devices show the same password. If so, then click on yes or next on both devices.
Step 10: Mac automatically scans your PC to determine which data needs to be migrated. Click Continue once the scan is complete. Once the information is selected, you can migrate it to your Mac.
Congratulations! You have completed the whole process. The process of transferring data takes some time. In all that time, all you have to do is sit back and watch the screen. The screen will continuously tell you that how much time it will take to complete.
What To Do After moving Data?
When your data finished its migration, you can close the window migration assistant. Now log in to your Mac with a new user account. Here he asked for a password from you. Set a strong password, or you can either select the old one, and you’re done. Remember to enter with a new account.
What To Do If Have Some Issues While Transforming?
- Quite All running apps or websites on your pc. Repeat the whole process.
- You need to ensure your PC is connected to the same network as your Mac before the Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant appears. By connecting your Mac and PC with a single Ethernet cable, you can create a network. Check your PC for firewall software and turn it off if you cannot get it to work. The firewall software can be turned on again after migration is completed.
- If the window migration software doesn’t open on your PC even after installing, make sure you don’t have any antivirus software open. Close all sorts of antivirus software and try again. You can open this software again once the process completes.
Transfer Data By Using The Cloud
You first need to decide which cloud is best for you to use before your files are transferred. The Apple products feature iCloud as an integrated part of many of their systems applications.
You can access iCloud from a Windows computer by opening your web browser, going to www.icloud.com, and uploading your files there. Besides using the cloud, other cloud services like Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive are also available.
This method Is straightforward and the most common way in this regard. To use this process, the first thing you have to do is decide which cloud I should use. For this process, I suggest you pick iCloud.
The iCloud is the pickiest and handy in use. to access iCloud on a Windows computer, do the following steps
- First, you need to open iCloud, for go to the browser and search www.icloud.com.
- After opening, you can now upload your data here.
- You can also use other clouds like Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive and upload your data here.
- Now open the cloud service you used before and copy the data from here into your Mac. That’s simple!
Transfer Data From Windows To Mac By Using File Sharing
Do the following to turn on and use File Sharing on Windows and Mac computers:
- Your first step should be to open the control panel. The Control panel is located differently on different windows. In Windows 7, you can access it through the start menu. In window 8, you can found your control panel in the charm sidebar. Start the right-hand edge of the screen and swipe one finger inward toward the centre.
- Hit the file sharing button or tab and turn the feature on.
- Now, you can share your folder or files or any other data to the public folder.
- Select all the data you want to transfer, and you are done with your computer. Let’s move to the Mac.
- From the Mac, open the System Preferences app located in the Finder’s Applications folder. (Usually located on the dock and within the Launchpad as well.)
- Search for the preferred option for sharing and click on the blue folder.
- After opening the sharing preferences screen, look at the sidebar and the box next to the file-sharing. Hit that button to enable the feature.
- Click on the options button and select the boxes with “share files and folder using SMB” and “AFP.” This step makes your computer visible to the windows system and vice versa.
- Now go straight to the window shared folders from your Mac and copy files to your hard drive. And you’re done.
Transfer Files By An External Memory Module
The following steps should be taken in order to transfer files to an external memory module, such as a hard drive, a memory card, or even an iPod in disk mode;
- Plug the memory module you have into your computer.
- Go to my computer and select that device
- Now copy the files, information, or data you want to transfer and adequately eject the drive by right-clicking and selecting Eject.
- Remove the device from pc and pug it into your Mac. Now drag all that information into your hard drive.
- To avoid data corruption, properly eject the drive by holding the Option key while clicking the Drive icon and selecting Eject.
Question: What Is A Migration Assistant?
Answer: Apple includes Migration Assistant as part of every Mac’s utility folder. You can see it after opening your Mac and when the Mac asks you to transfer data into it from other devices. Apple offers to download this app free when you happen to share anything from another device. You’ll also need to download this application into your pc or other devices from where you want to share the data.
Question: Which Migration Assistant Is Suitable For Your Mac?
Answer: You’ll need to be careful while downloading this app to your pc. A suitable and perfect partner should be downloaded. There are different migrating assistants for making an ideal match between your man and pc. Below are some links to download migration assistant, which you can choose according to your mac model.
- MacOS Big Sur
- MacOS Mojave and MacOS Catalina
- MacOS Sierra and High Sierra
- OS X El Capitan or Earlier
Question: How Can I Transfer Data With Migration Assistant?
Answer: Data migration can be done with Migration Assistant by selecting the data to be moved to your Mac. The following specific applications and types of data move over:
Migrating assistant will help you transfer the following types of data into your Mac:
Information about emails, contacts, and calendars
The outlook window and the accounts determine where your email messages, emails, and appointments move.
Photographs and other visual materials. After importing them into Photos, you can open Photos and let it search for photos on your Mac.
Files of other kinds
As part of the migration process, Migration Assistant also transfers the following files:
- Your account settings determine which files from the contacts, appointments, and email messages will be moved to the window. p-level folder in the home directory of the currently logged-in user.
- Files that are not part of the Windows or Program Files directory.
- Files and folders found on the Windows system disk and other attached storage devices.
Mail for Windows
Using Windows 7 and later (except Windows 8), data from Windows Mail moves as follows:
- Messages and settings for IMAP are now in Mail.
- Messages and POP settings moved to Mail2.
- Contacts are moved to the People tab.
Configuration of the system
Settings for language and location. Your web browser homepage can also move to Safari preferences.
If you were a pc user and currently turn to a Mac user, you are worried about your data and wish to have it in your Mac.
We all need all our data on the computer or device we use to don’t need to worry and quickly get the File we want. But here, your mind is perplexed that how I do this?
What is the best way to transfer my data from Windows to Mac?
There are four methods mentioned in this article that you can use to transfer the data, and they all are straightforward. I suggest you use the migration assistant method. Because it is professional and also advised by Mac. Although it is a bit tricky and is the time taken, it will never disappoint you.